Incorrect Credit Reporting After Bankruptcy

What You Can Do When You Find Errors in Credit Reporting

Once you receive your bankruptcy discharge, you no longer have any personal responsibility for the debts that were included in your initial filing. These debts should show a zero balance on your credit report. If any of them still show a balance, the error should be corrected by the credit bureaus immediately.

The credit bureaus are required to maintain accurate reports. In many cases, they may not know that there is an error because your creditor has not notified them of the discharge. In cases like these, you should send a dispute letter with proof of the discharge as a result of the bankruptcy. If they don’t correct the error, you can take legal action to get the correction made.

Steps You Should Take to Find and Correct Credit Reporting Errors

At the Price Law Firm, we represent clients throughout central Florida in a variety of consumer bankruptcy matters. We are there with you at every step, from the initial filing to the final discharge. We stay with you after the bankruptcy to address any issues that arise, such as creditors trying to collect a discharged debt or credit reporting errors.

The following information outlines the steps you can take to ensure that your credit report is accurate after you receive your bankruptcy discharge and what we can do to help if you find errors.

Get a copy of your credit report: You can obtain a free copy of your report by calling 1-877-322-8228, going online to, or by downloading a form you can send in by mail.

Check for errors: If any of the debts that were discharged in your bankruptcy do not show a zero balance, it is an error that should be corrected by the credit bureaus.

Get the errors corrected: As previously mentioned, you should send a dispute letter with proof of discharge. We are happy to help you with the drafting and mailing of the letters. If you choose to do them yourself, we would recommend sending them via certified mail.

If the credit bureau does not correct the errors: Our lawyers can help you file a lawsuit to force the corrections that need to be made. We may also be able to sue for compensation if you have been harmed by the credit bureau’s actions or if there have been violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Lawsuits against creditors: In some cases, it may be appropriate to file a lawsuit against a creditor who deliberately fails to report a discharge to the credit bureau and continues to attempt collection after your bankruptcy is complete.

To learn more about how we can help you, contact the Price Law Firm. From our offices in Altamonte Springs in the Orlando-Kissimmee metro area, we represent clients throughout central Florida. To schedule a free consultation with an attorney, call 407-834-0090.

We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.